Happy Mother’s Day!! Thinking of my own mom (and planning my wedding 13 years ago) and hoping to provide some inspiration, I’ve pulled together a ton of REAL Mother of the Bride and Mother of the Groom dress photos! The beautiful women below were all gorgeous and it was an honor to capture this special time in their lives as they celebrated their daughters and sons getting married!
Here’s my quick advice (after 10 years of photographing weddings!) when looking for a Mother of the Bride or Mother of the Groom dress:
- Be comfortable! Get your hair and makeup done! You’ll photograph better if you’re not worried about your dress/hair/makeup!
- Be yourself. (but dress up a bit more than usual!! The two times my own mom has worn a dress is my wedding and my brother’s wedding!)
- Consult the bride to help determine the appropriate length/color scheme that fits with the formality of the wedding day and location! (Please stay away from white, off/white or anything that may detract from the bride!)
- It’s customary for the Mother of the Bride to choose her color/dress first, but tradition seem to be moving away from that. If you’re in contact with each other, maybe make a day of it and go dress shopping together (or at least have a conversation)!
- Start shopping at least 6 months prior to the wedding to give you time for stress-free alterations or fittings. Invest in alterations so this once in a lifetime dress fits you perfectly for photos that will last forever!
“My mom wanted something that didn’t look like a traditional mother of the bride dress, so we ended up finding something at a department store that was meant to be an Easter dress” – Kelsey B.
“This is a special day for my mom as well and she found an amazing seamstress that created her a one-of-a kind, perfect-fit Mother of the Bride dress that fit her personality and it’s one she’ll wear again!” – Ashley
Now booking select Fall 2017 and 2018 wedding dates in Austin, the Hill Country and destination weddings!
Email for availability and investment information: email@example.com